The penny drops podcast: Staying motivated and determined
In this episode of 'The penny drops', our host Andrea Fox joins Mikael Lawal to talk about his journey from poverty to professional boxing, and how he’s managed personal and financial struggles along the way.
What will we be talking about?
Determination and motivation is something we can all struggle with, whether it’s to do with our work, health, personal life or our finances. This month we cover:
- Overcoming personal struggles and hardship
- Ways to tackle setbacks
- Staying determined and mentally strong
- How attitudes to finances change
- Managing money as an athlete
- Financial challenges for the self-employed
- Tips and habits to improve motivation
Who is our guest?
Mikael Lawal is a professional boxer, model, personal trainer and father. Born in Nigeria, Mikael has grown from a 13-year-old struggling to eat on the streets of Lagos to one of the UK’s most promising professional boxers, even being named Ultimate Boxxer IV Champion in 2019.
All views and opinions expressed in the podcast are those of the guest and not of Royal London.
Where can you listen?
You can download and listen to episodes using the iTunes Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Castbox apps – just search for ‘The penny drops’. Make sure to subscribe so you don’t miss any new episodes, and please do leave us a review. We’d love to know what you think of the series.
If you don’t have access to an app, you can listen to the podcast online. We’ll send you reminders about any new episodes in your quarterly member emails.
How can you find more information?
Royal London recommends you seek professional independent financial advice before making financial decisions. You can learn more about the value of financial advice on our website, or visit Unbiased to find a trusted professional in your area.
You can also find lots of helpful information about the topics discussed in this episode on the following sites:
- Money Advice Service: www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/categories/self-employment
- GOV.UK: www.gov.uk/working-for-yourself
Budgeting and saving
- Money Advice Service: www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/beginners-guide-to-managing-your-money
- Citizens Advice: www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money
- National Debtline: www.nationaldebtline.org
- StepChange Debt Charity: www.stepchange.org
Mental health support
Please note that all topics discussed in this episode can vary depending on your personal circumstances, and savings and investments can go up and down.
This episode was recorded in January 2020 before the release of any UK Government guidance or restrictions put in place in relation to coronavirus. Any figures quoted were accurate at the time of recording.