Last reviewed: February 2023
What are cookies?
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer or your mobile device when you visit our website.
Cookies are useful because they help us to enable you to have a better website experience. They allow us to recognise your device (e.g. your laptop or mobile device) so that we can tailor your experience of our website. You can find out more about cookies at www.allaboutcookies.org.
Cookies do lots of different jobs on this website, such as letting you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, remembering your username and password, letting us analyse how well our website is performing, and improving your experience. They also help ensure that adverts you see whilst you are on our website and other websites are more relevant to you and your interests.
What information do they collect?
Cookies collect information about your browser and browsing session, such as:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform; and
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
- The Local Storage technology will store technical and personal information about your session to enable you to securely retrieve your quote.
First and third party cookies
First-party cookies are cookies that belong to us; third-party cookies are cookies that another party places on your device through our Service. Third-party cookies may be placed on your device by someone providing a service for us, for example to help us understand how our service is being used.
How long will cookies stay on my device?
The length of time a cookie will stay on your computer or mobile device depends on whether it is a “persistent” or “session” cookie. Session cookies will only stay on your device until you stop browsing. Persistent cookies stay on your computer or mobile device until they expire or are deleted.
How do I change my cookie settings?
Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set, visit www.aboutcookies.org.uk/ or www.allaboutcookies.org.
Find out how to manage cookies on popular browsers:
To find information relating to other browsers, visit the browser developer's website.
Please note; this process varies for the Local Storage technology as noted below.
What types of cookies do we use?
We want you to understand the different types of cookies that we use on our website. Some of these cookies are essential to the operation of our website. Others are not essential, but help to improve our website by collecting user information, or try and improve your experience of our website by remembering your choices.
The type of cookies used on this website can be placed into 1 of 4 categories:
- Strictly necessary cookies - always active
- Analytics and statistics cookies
- Enhanced functionality and personalisation cookies
- Marketing and advertising cookies.