Where to get information about your finances

4 min read



It’s a good idea to seek professional advice when making important financial decisions, but did you know there’s also plenty of other help available?

According to a report by Royal London and the International Longevity Centre, people who take professional financial advice can be more than £40,000 better off than those who don’t.

A financial adviser can give you personalised advice and recommendations to match your individual needs and circumstances. Advisers may charge for their services – though they should agree any fees with you upfront. But paying for financial advice can be expensive, so it’s good to know that there’s plenty of other help available.

White egg cup

General information

  • The Money Advice Service is a free and impartial service, introduced by the government to help you plan ahead and keep track of your finances. You can give them a call on 0800 138 7777, or get in touch through their online webchat.
  • Citizens Advice provides free, independent and confidential advice on a wide range of financial and legal problems, including benefits, work, debt, housing and immigration. You’ll find lots of information on their website, or you can make an appointment at one of their UK branches to speak to someone face-to-face.
  • The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regulates financial services companies. To find out more about your rights to do with banking, mortgages and financial advice, or how to complain about a product or service you’ve been sold, visit their website or give them a call on 0800 111 6768. You can also use their Financial Services Register to find out if a financial adviser or company is regulated by the FCA.
Egg in stripey egg cup

Specific information


  • The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS) offer information and guidance on all types of pensions, including state pensions, workplace pensions and personal pensions, annuities and other retirement options. For personalised information, give them a call on 0800 011 3797, or get in touch through their live chat service.
  • Pension Wise is a free and impartial retirement planning service, introduced by the government to help you understand your options. Give them a call on 0800 138 3944 to book a free appointment, or visit their website for more information.


  • StepChange can help you get back in control of your finances and advise you on debt solutions, including debt management plans, individual voluntary arrangements, debt arrangement schemes and bankruptcy. For tailored debt advice, visit their website or give them a call on 0800 138 1111.
  • You can also find out more about where to get help with debt by reading our debt advice article.


  • If you have a simple question, or you can’t pay your tax bill on time, you can contact HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) direct. Visit their website for more information.
  • If HMRC can’t help, TaxAid offers free and confidential advice to people under the age of 60, or self-employed people, earning £20,000 or less a year who can’t afford to pay for professional advice. Give them a call on 0345 120 3779 to find out more. Meanwhile, Tax Help for Older People is aimed at people aged 60+ who earn £20,000 or less. Simply complete their contact form to get in touch and explain what you need help with.

Age-related information

  • Age UK publishes a wide range of guides and factsheets, ranging from money and legal issues to health and housing. Age UK Advice provides advice and information over the phone to older people, their families, friends, carers and professionals. Give them a call on 0800 055 6112 to find out more.

More news and insights