- Over three quarters (77%) of UK adults class themselves as ‘climate conscious’;
- However, nearly two thirds (64%) of pension holders are unaware their pension could help fight climate change including over half of men (58%) and almost three quarters (71%) of women; and
- Almost one in four (23%) of pension holders want at least half of their pension invested responsibly.
Notes to Editors
- Royal London commissioned a survey by Opinium between 18-22 October 2021 with a sample of 2,000 nationally representative UK adults.
- The explanation of responsible investing given to those taking part in the survey was: There are trillions of pounds invested in UK pensions and this money is invested in a range of companies that are shaping the world’s future. These could include high street retailers, airlines, banks and energy providers. By choosing to invest your pension responsibly, you’re taking into account the impact that companies you invest in have on the environment, society, and how well the company is run. You can find out how your pension is invested by talking to your pension provider. Does this information change how likely you would be invest your pension responsibly?
- According to the ONS Pension wealth in Great Britain - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk) latest report, in 2018, 53% of adults aged between 16 and 64 are active members of a pension.
- More information on the Royal London Sustainable Leaders fund and its carbon footprint can be found here tcfd-report-2020.pdf (rlam.co.uk)
About Royal London
Royal London is the largest mutual life insurance, pensions and investment company in the UK, with assets under management of £153 billion, 8.8 million policies in force and 4,075 employees. Figures quoted are as at 30 June 2021.