Employment gap continues to narrow between men and women
Helen Morrissey, pension specialist at Royal London, comments on statistics on the employment gap between men and women.
“New FOI reply reveals over 100,000 savers could face shock six figure tax bills following tiny uplifts to their pension – urgent need for clarity from HMRC”
Tiny changes to the company pensions of thousands of workers following a recent court case could land them with unexpected six figure tax bills unless urgent action is taken by HMRC, according to Steve Webb, Director of Policy at Royal London.
Royal London calls for more awareness of frozen pensions trap
Helen Morrissey, pension specialist at Royal London, comments on today’s figures which estimate the costs of uprating State Pension in frozen rate countries.
Tenant fees bill gains Royal Assent but “does not address the structural issues within the private rented sector”
Becky O'Connor, Personal Finance Specialist, comments on the news that the Tenant Fees Bill gained Royal Assent today and will become an Act on June 1, 2019.
Ryanair's eye-watering share option grant is just ludicrous
Ashley Hamilton Claxton, head of responsible investment at Royal London Asset Management comments on the news that Ryanair's chief executive officer could receive a windfall pay-out.
New crackdown on employers ‘more likely to generate headlines than protect pensions’
Steve Webb, Director of Policy at Royal London, comments on the latest re-announcement by the government of plans for a new criminal offence of ‘recklessly or wilfully’ under-funding a workplace pension scheme.
Ashley Hamilton Claxton, head of responsible investment at Royal London Asset Management, comments on Ryanair’s announcement of a new Group structure
Ashley Hamilton Claxton, head of responsible investment at Royal London Asset Management, comments on Ryanair’s announcement of a new Group structure.
Royal London urges people to claim Power of Attorney refunds as figures show millions left unclaimed
Mutual insurer Royal London is urging people with a registered power of attorney to check whether they are due a refund of their fees as figures show only 20% of those eligible have done so.
DWP plans for small scheme consolidation ‘risk being feeble tick box exercise’
Royal London’s Director of Policy, Steve Webb, comments on a consultation paper published today by DWP on infrastructure investment by pension schemes.
Savings rates beginning to outdo property price growth
Piling money into houses is no longer an antidote to dismal returns on savings, as the best best-buy interest rates are now higher than the annual average property price growth in England.
New HMRC figures show cash 'under the mattress' nearly doubles since 2001
Helen Morrissey and Trevor Greetham comment on UK Personal Wealth Statistics published today.
New bidder for RPC vindicates investor caution
Craig Yeaman, fund manager at Royal London Asset Manager comments on the news that a potential rival bidder has emerged for RPC.
‘HMRC ‘over-taxing spree’ passes £400m mark’
Our pensions specialist, Helen Morrissey, comments on new figures released today by HMRC.
Steve Webb, Royal London, challenges DWP to ‘seize the moment’ over DB benefit simplification
DWP has been urged to ‘seize the moment’ for pensions simplification by bringing forward legislation to make it easier for Defined Benefit pension schemes to streamline member benefits.
Royal London Asset Management launches multi asset fund seeking to generate growth while managing downside risk
Royal London Asset Management (RLAM) has launched a multi asset fund designed for investors looking to capture market upside while limiting downside risk.
New FCA rules on retirement choices show that ‘reckless caution not lamborghinis’ is big issue with pension freedoms
Following publication today of the FCA’s conclusions from its Retirement Outcomes Review, Steve Webb, Director of Policy at Royal London comments
Royal London’s Governed Portfolios prove that diversification delivers with strong ten year performance
Royal London’s Governed Portfolio range - a suite of nine portfolios designed to suit pension investors across a range of risk appetites and investment horizons – is celebrating its tenth anniversary by posting strong results across all portfolios.
Paying Lifetime and Annual Allowance tax charges isn't always a bad thing
Pension scheme members at risk of breaching lifetime and annual allowances should not adopt a default position of ceasing contributions according to mutual insurer Royal London.
Royal London intermediary appoints new distribution director
Royal London today announces the appointment of Tom Dunbar as Distribution Director for its intermediary division.
Royal London reunites lost policyholders with £14 million
Royal London, the UK’s largest mutual life, pensions and investment company, has reunited 36,000 customers with lost ‘penny policies’ worth more than £14 million.
Appetite for pension flexibility remains undimmed with £1.9bn taken in last quarter
Our pensions specialist Helen Morrissey comments on today’s statistics showing flexible payments from pensions.
RLAM welcomes Investment Association's consultation
comment from Mike Fox, head of sustainable investments
Royal London Asset Management expresses disappointment at RPC takeover news
Craig Yeaman, senior fund manager at Royal London Asset Management, comments on the takeover news for RPC.
Home maintenance time bomb ticking for over 50s
Our pension specialist Helen Morrissey comments on today's UK Family Spending statistics.
Growing number of women working full time is good news for financial resilience
Our Pensions Specialist Helen Morrissey comments on the latest UK Labour Market Statistics.
Steel workers ‘let down by those who should have protected them’ – Steve Webb, Royal London
Our Director of Policy Steve Webb comments on today’s publication of a report by Caroline Rookes into the issues around the British Steel Pension Scheme.
The ‘Dos’ And ‘Don’ts’ Of Debt-Talk
“Blue Monday” is the third Monday of January, so-called because it is meant to be the most depressing day of the year.
Help to Save scheme off to a "slow start"
The Government’s flagship Help to Save savings scheme aimed at those in receipt of Universal Credit is off to a “slow start”
Scotland updates flawed benefit inherited from DWP
Commenting on the Scottish Government’s announcement that the Funeral Expense Assistance (FEA) will replace the current Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Funeral Payment in Scotland
Paying lifetime and annual allowance tax charges isn’t always a bad thing
Advisers have a vital role to play in exploding myths around paying lifetime and annual allowance charges according to Royal London.
Sandwich carers face pensions 'double whammy'
On the day that the Office for National Statistics publishes research on Britain’s 1.3 million ‘sandwich carers’ – those looking after children and elderly relatives at the same time – mutual insurer Royal London is highlighting a pensions injustice making life even more difficult for this group.
Workers urged to top up State Pension now to avoid April 2019 hike in cost of contributions
People thinking about paying voluntary National Insurance Contributions to fill past gaps in their contribution record are being urged to do so before 6th April by pensions experts.
The Best Things In Life Aren’t Free: Royal London Calculates Key Life Goals Will Take 25 Years To Pay For
Anyone planning how to meet their big life dreams in 2019 take note: the best things in life are very much not free. That’s if your aspirations are on the conventional side, anyway.
Royal London comments on the one-year anniversary of Open Banking
Becky O'Connor, personal finance specialist at Royal London comments on the one-year anniversary of "Open Banking".
Government cuts force more bereaved families into poverty
Local authorities in the UK spent almost £5.4 million on public health funerals in 2017/18.
3 in a row! Royal London awarded gold for customer service
Royal London has received the highest accreditation from Investor in Customers (IIC) for outstanding customer experience for the third year in a row.
Royal London opens Ireland subsidiary
Royal London today announces the opening of ROYAL LONDON INSURANCE DAC
new research shows divorced women are ‘pensions poor relations’
Relationship charity Relate report a 24% surge in inquiries in January each year from those with relationship worries
Royal London's new year money goals
Research from Royal London shows two in five (41%) adults are anxious about money, which can often lead to nightmares and stress.
Quarter of a million nurses could face retirement poverty
A quarter of a million NHS workers have opted out of the NHS pension scheme in the last three years
Trump Slump: Bargain Hunting after The Christmas Crash
The drop in stock prices that started with a seasonal October sell off intensified in December on disappointing economic reports out of China, heightened geopolitical tensions and a series of inept policy announcements in Washington.
Increased ombudsman award limits will have huge "unintended consequences" for advisers and clients
Plans to increase the amount of money the ombudsman service can award for complaints against firms could lead to huge rises in the cost of insurance for advisers warns Royal London.
Royal London welcomes Candia Kingston to Investment Advisory Committee
Royal London has welcomed Candia Kingston as an independent member of its Investment Advisory Committee (IAC).
Fed hike - not quite as dovish as expected
Melanie Baker, senior economist, at Royal London Asset Management commenting on the latest rate hike by the Fed
DWP evaluation of automatic enrolment offers ‘rare good news’ on pensions
With so much doom and gloom about pensions, this report offers a rare glimmer of hope
Offering flexible working options key to keeping older workers in workplace
People in the 52 to 64 age group are more likely than any other age group to be carers with many also still working
Half of workers worried about income if they were to fall ill
A million workers are off sick for more than a month every year, with research showing half (52%) would worry about their income if they became too ill to work
Save yourself the post Christmas tax return blues
Save yourself the post-Christmas tax return blues says Royal London to self-employed who are yet to file
Upward trend in women in full time employment
will see more auto-enrolled into pensions
Royal London today announces that Group CEO Phil Loney has decided to stand down by the end of 2019.
He is standing down to concentrate on his longstanding charitable interests in the international development sector and supporting people with learning difficulties.
Royal London enhances critical illness cover
Royal London introduces enhancements to its critical illness cover (CI) for three of the most common areas for claim - cancer, heart conditions and multiple sclerosis - allowing the business to pay out in a wider range of circumstances.
New pension superfunds could be ‘game-changers'
Today’s announcement that the Government are launching a consultation into pension "superfunds" could give savers more secure retirement incomes
Perplexed by wills: more than 5 adults do not know where to begin
New research by Royal London reveals that 5.4 million adults without a will in the UK would not know where to begin if they were to write one.
Will we stay or will we go
The probability of the UK remaining in the EU has just increased. With Brexit events moving at such a startling pace and less than a week to go before Parliament votes on Theresa May’s Withdrawal Agreement, investors should ensure their portfolios are prepared for every eventuality.
Pension enrolment threshold frozen again
Announcement today that the threshold for enrolment into a workplace pension is to be frozen at £10,000 effects hundreds of thousands more workers
Responding to the publication of a report by the Economic Affairs Committee
Responding to the publication of a report by the Economic Affairs Committee - "HMRC Powers: Treating Taxpayers Fairly"
Press release archive
- Royal London's new year money goals
- Quarter of a million nurses could face retirement poverty
- Trump Slump: Bargain Hunting after The Christmas Crash
- Increased ombudsman award limits will have huge "unintended consequences" for advisers and clients
- Royal London has welcomed Candia Kingston as an independent member of its Investment Advisory Committee (IAC)
- Fed hike - not quite as dovish as expected
- Offering flexible working options key to keeping older workers in workplace
- DWP evaluation of automatic enrolment offers 'rare good news' on pensions
- Half of workers worried about income if they were to fall ill
- Save yourself the post-Christmas tax return blues", says Royal London to self-employed who are yet to file
- Upward trend in women in full time employment
- Royal London CEO Phil Loney to stand down
- Royal London enhances critical illness cover
- Pension "superfunds" could give savers more secure retirement incomes
- Perplexed by wills: more than 5 adults do not know where to begin
- Trevor Brexit commentary
- Royal London urges taxpayers being chased by HMRC
- Sustainable income levels are vital to safeguarding portfolio strength during periods of investment volatility
- Slow rollout of pensions dashboard a ‘real concern’
- Low paid tax relief lottery set to get worse for hundreds of thousands of workers in 2019 as pension enrolment threshold frozen again
- High funeral costs finally put under the spotlight
- Positive outcome for Restaurant Group deal
- Royal London comments on CMA warning over Experian and Clearscore proposed merger
- New research shows consumers not putting themselves on the breadline by spending pension cash on luxuries
- Royal London calls on government to take action on power of attorney refund scheme as FOI shows millions left unclaimed
- New research shows consumers baffled about how to respond to Brexit uncertainty
- Restaurant group deal should earn high return
- New Secretary of State needs to make time for pensions policy
- Treasury and Pensions Minister remain key shapers of pension policy after McVey resignation
- Government must take steps to boost pension credit take up as statistics show £3.5bn goes unclaimed
- Half of income drawdown customers have an income likely to last them for life
- Brewing domestic inflationary pressure are likely to keep the BoE on track for rate rises... Brexit permitting
- RLAM’s Head of Multi Asset, Trevor Greetham, says stock markets reacted well to the US mid-term elections, but believes there’s more to come
- Persimmon: RLAM's Ashley Hamilton Claxton comments
- Government publishes consultation on 'Collective DC' pension schemes
- Major concession from HMRC over high income child benefit tax charge"
- A money problem shared is a money problem halved - Becky O'Connor, Royal London
- RLAM's Trevor Greetham: Sterling volatility spikes on Brexit uncertainty
- Labour Market stats show number of over 65s still in work continues to grow - Royal London
- We need to make AE work for self-employed - Royal London
- One of the most depressed sentiment readings in thirty years: time to buy?
- New figures show HMRC ‘over-taxing spree’ moves up a gear
- Updated Code on Genetic Testing & Insurance welcomed
- FCA/TPR joint strategy 'a good sign' for retirement savers - Steve Webb
- UK inflation data - weaker than expected data adds BoE breathing space
- Webb calls for clarity from DWP on triple lock calculation - confusion over numbers led to £100m being wiped from pensions overnight
- RLAM’s head of multi asset, Trevor Greetham explains why the October volatility he expected presents a buying opportunity
- Number of women aged 60 – 64 still working has more than doubled compared to 1998
- RLAM's response to Unilever's turnaround
- FCA right to shy away from contingent charging ban but we need change on triage
- RLAM against forced divestment of Unilever under single listing
- Allowing heterosexual couples to enter civil partnerships an "important step forward" in safeguarding cohabiting couples' financial future
- GRIPs celebrate strong six year track record
- Company pension scheme members set to receive billions in back payments
- Chancellor must do more to help the housing market
- Respite on pension tax relief likely to be temporary
- Help for pension savers to access patient capital
- Occupational Pensions Scheme Survey shows average DC contributions continue to drop
- Buried in debt: Mourners borrow £1,700 to pay for loved ones' funerals
- Adviser survey reveals huge variations in how firms "triage" pension transfer inquiries
- Royal London welcomes DWP call for parents not to miss out on NI credits
- ECJ ruling shows PPF must address compensation levels
- People must plan for longer retirement as stats show number of over 90s continues to grow
- Government must bring self-employed into auto-enrolment without delay
- 10m hits on state pension website shows why state pension data must be on dashboard
- Employers must harness the potential of older workforce as ONS stats show number of over 65s still in work has doubled - Royal London
- Re-enrolment is key to keeping pension participation rates high
- "Dangers if 'Dash for passive investing' goes too far"
- Stronger than expected inflation not what Bank of England predicted
- Select Committee launches inquiry into pension costs and transparency
- People must stress test their finances in light of BoE interest rate hike
- Landmark ruling offers hope to pension scam victims
- UK Labour Market Statistics: Older workers represent huge talent pool for employers
- Royal London maintains strong trading results
- No deal Brexit could bring employment rights lottery for workers
- Court verdict brings hope that ‘decades of injustice’ may be coming to an end
- Government must not let cold calling ban timetable slip any further – Royal London
- UK labour market consistent with August UK rate rise
- DWP must not abandon pension dashboard – Royal London
- New corporate governance code needs investor engagement to deliver results
- FCA study shows no "one size fits all" assessment for platform market – Ascentric
- RLAM to launch a monthly income bond fund
- Graduates who make the wrong decision about their student debt "could miss out on £75,000 from their pension pot" - Royal London
- Treasury chooses a 'good day to bury bad news', as delay on cold-calling ban finally confirmed in parliament
- High profile corporate failures show no sign of sinking pensions lifeboat
- High Court gives green light to Royal London for next stage of plan to protect guaranteed annuity rate customers
- 'Generation still taxed' - new figures show pensioners pay over £24 billion in tax - average pensioner bill is £3,500 pa
- Treasury Committee Report: Auto-enrolment must do more to address undersaving
- Money worries a cause of nightmares
- Sustainable funds now available for all Royal London pension customers
- Royal London urges Office of Tax Simplification to review IHT treatment for cohabiting couples
- DWP figures show ongoing success of auto-enrolment but micro-employers need more support
- New longevity data could mean state pension increase to 68 is pushed back
- Don't Chase Risky Income In Retirement New Warning From Royal London
- Royal London calls for more education on power of attorney as new FOI reveals soaring investigations
- People living with diabetes no longer face a life insurance lottery
- Royal London paid out over £0.5bn in UK protection claims in 2017
- Italian political crisis makes for a soggy summer
- State of the Protection Nation
- Make DB pension transfer advice more accessible - Royal London
- Five good reasons to transfer, and five good reasons not to
- Will we ever summit the Pension Mountain New analysis from Royal London
- Top five ways to help your loved ones after you have gone
- What would the Resolution Foundation proposals mean for pensions and pensioners
- Time to end 'absurdity' of tax over-pay and reclaim system on pensions
- Attachment to cash costs investors dear as stocks and shares ISAs continue to outperform
- HMRC urged to take down pension tax website which gives taxpayers the wrong answer – Steve Webb, Royal London
- Official figures show shocking disparity in pension incomes – Royal London
- Royal London launches five star funeral plan
- Independent Governance Committee's 3rd annual report highlights value for money to Royal London workplace customers
- New DWP figures confirm 80,000 have had mortgage help cut off
- Royal London acts to help protect policy holders from 'throwing away' annuity guarantees
- Royal London fulfils on Funeral Payment pledge promise
- Royal London reports strong new business and profit growth as CEO calls for five year moratorium on changes to pensions tax relief
- Almost half of private sector workers contribute 2% or less to their pension pot
- New analysis reveals shocking surge in gender gap in retirement incomes'
- Sustainable investing can pay off
- 1 in 3 poorest pensioners missing out on £150 million in vital cold weather help - government needs to take emergency action
- UK pensions liabilities rise by £1 trillion in five years - comment from Steve Webb, Royal London
- International Women's Day: We need a plan to improve women's financial resilience - Royal London
- April 2018 step-up in pension contributions - 'no need to fear large scale opt-outs' - Steve Webb, Royal London
- Giving up smoking could be good for your wealth
- Couples must beware of overstretching themselves with mortgage lending - Royal London
- New official figures show "catastrophically low" take up of SMI loan as thousands face loss of mortgage benefit help - Royal London
- Pensions white paper measures at risk of being ‘gesture’ legislation with little practical impact
- Surge in grandparents claiming help for looking after grandchildren
- Survey reveals employers open to pension contribution step ups alongside pay rises
- Over 750,000 people at risk of passing pensions to the wrong person when they die
- Royal London's consumer business launches game changing serious illness benefit
- Is it time for the care pensions? - Steve Webb, Royal London
- New HMRC figures show cause of women's pension equality 'set back a generation' - Royal London
- British Steel Pension Scheme scandal: Don't deny workers the chance to reshape their retirement plans - Steve Webb, Royal London
- New law on civil partnerships could have 'multi-billion pound' impact on pension schemes - Royal London and LCP
- Three million couples could be set for a 'multi-billion pound windfall' - Royal London
- Starting to buy the Donald dip
- Royal London invests in customers' futures by starting retirement conversations earlier
- ‘Public faith in property investment shows need for pensions world to highlight value of ‘invisible’ employer pension contributions’ - Steve Webb, Royal London
- Why we're starting retirement conversations earlier with our pension customers
- Are you ready for the road ahead
- MPs 'misled' over Budget stealth tax – Steve Webb, Royal London
- Over 100,000 households face having mortgage lifeline cut
- Royal London boosts children's critical illness cover with flexible options
- New statistics show HMRC is 'out of control' as "over-taxation" reaches almost half a billion pounds - Royal London
- Three in four British SMEs fail to insure their most valuable asset
- Royal London Partners with Clydesdale and Yorkshire Banks to offer Over 50s Life Cover
- New FOI reply reveals 97% of eligible carers do not claim 'carer's credit' - Royal London
- Back to basics: Swerve the superfoods and save nearly £700
- This is 21st Century Britain
- How to avoid hidden dangers in retirement
- People are suffering in silence; not just on Blue Monday