Supporting our communities
We are committed to supporting the communities where we live and work.
We are proud of our Community Engagement work to date. From April 2013 to December 2015, we partnered with Bloodwise, raising more than £200,000 over the two years. Royal London employees across the country baked, ran, walked and cycled - to name just a few of their fundraising activities. Our support enabled Bloodwise to continue their life-saving research into blood cancer.
In 2016, we changed our approach to our Community Engagement programme. We’re moving to a stronger focus on support within our local communities, working with local charitable partners. To do this we have enlisted over 70 Corporate Responsibility Champions across our 6 offices who work closely with our official partners to involve staff and help us make a difference.
Our Corporate Responsibility programme’s theme, chosen by staff, is 'to support people with a chronic or long-term condition'. This strongly aligns to our business as a life and pensions provider. This theme will be the focus for our community work going forward.
In December 2016, our staff chose new charity partners for each office. We will be working with these charities to help them meet their aims over the next two years.
Our new charity partners in each office are:
- London: Lambeth and Southwark Mind – a centre providing long term therapies and peer support groups for people experiencing mental distress.
- Glasgow: Butterfly Trust – who aim to improve the quality of life for young people living with Cystic Fibrosis.
- Wilmslow: The Joshua Tree – who support families affected by childhood cancer.
- Edinburgh: Children with Cancer and Leukaemia Advice and Support for Parents (CCLASP) – who provide emotional and practical support and assistance to families living with and caring for children and youths suffering from cancer and leukaemia.
- Bath – Bath Cancer Unit Support Group (BCUSG) – who support the work of the Oncology and Radiotherapy Unit at the Bath Royal United Hospital, and other local units providing the similar services.
- Dublin – Pieta House – Dublin have been supporting Pieta House for two years. Pieta House provides a free, therapeutic approach to people who are in suicidal distress and those who engage in self-harm.
We are also partnering with Business in the Community (BITC), the Prince’s Responsible Business Network, and with The Silver Line, the free helpline for older people, volunteering as telephone friend.
We are unable to support any other causes or charity partnerships outside the activities named above.
We also support the causes that matter most to our staff by matching their fundraising efforts (capped) and offering time off for volunteering in their local communities.
In addition, and through our sponsorship of one-day international and domestic cricket, we are supporting grassroots cricket through The Gilbert Cup – encouraging under 11s to play more cricket during the summer holidays. We are also the principal supporter of the PCA Benevolent Fund, which helps current and former players and their dependents in times of hardship, and to readjust to their world beyond the game. Find out more.
Royal London has partnered with Royal Zoological Society of Scotland and the Royal Parks Foundation in London since 2015, in support of two of the UK’s pelican colonies. Read more about our partnership.